Floods play a significant role upon the North East landscape. Most North East Victorian towns are built around natural water features such as wetlands, rivers and creeks. During significant flood events, many community members are impacted directly or indirectly as a result of floods.
The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for flooding in Victoria, responsible for planning for floods and for managing the emergency response when flooding occurs.
The North East CMA works closely with VICSES local government and other emergency management agencies and the community to ensure flood risks are proactively managed.
- In the case of a flood emergency, contact the Victoria State Emergency Service on 132 500
- For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000)
- To report waterway management issues resulting from a flood event, please contact the North East CMA on 1300 216 513 to lodge your case.
Flood Recovery Hotline - a single state-wide number, 1800 560 760, that Victorians impacted by the October 2022 floods can call for help with:
- navigating available support
- temporary accommodation
- mental health and wellbeing support.
VICSES also provides information on preparing your home or business for a flood: www.ses.vic.gov.au/prepare/floodsafe.
The following North East CMA and other agency fact sheets will provide you with additional flood information, contact details and useful links: